Sunday, August 06, 2006

AP: Red Wings consider moving from Joe Louis

The Illitches have moved one of their chief executives over to head a team investigating two options: a new arena and renovations of JLA. Personally, I can't imagine the Wings without the Joe so I hope they end up deciding to renovate. I don't want to go to some fancy new arena with some corporate name and zero character. But that's just me. The News has a story on this too but I can't access it right now ("Server too busy"). Maybe you can.

1 Comments:

At 8/08/2006 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Brendan said...

I will say that Joe Louis does have a lot of pleasant recent memories and it's named after one of the great Black athletes of all times BUT it's in such a bad location. Whoever decided to put and completely enclosed arena right on the river, while that must have been somebody from Detroit. Since they want to expand Cobo Hall anyway it makes more sense for JLA to be make way for that. Maybe they can do for the riverfront area there what they did behind the RenCen/GM area. Hey, I'm still crying over Tiger Stadium being left behind for the mall like atmosphere of CoPa but I think the Wings would be wise to build another arena, maybe on that parcent of land on Grand River that Illich already owns. (Same street as Olympia!) And whole coporate naming rights are lame, they could make it the Northwest Airlines Arena. Support our local hometown civilian air force.

 

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]