Tuesday, October 12, 2004

FSN to air classic Red Wings games

Fox Sports Net Detroit will air a "Best of the Red Wings" series starting October 20th, Ted Kulfan said today in the Detroit News' Red Wings Mailbag. The first game to be shown will be Game 2 of the 1998 Stanley Cup Finals, the game in which the Wings came back from two 2-goal deficits to defeat the Washington Capitals in overtime. The other games which will be shown: Game 3 of the 1998 Finals against the Caps (October 25th) - Tomas Holmstrom scores in the first minute and Sergei Fedorov puts it away in the 3rd, giving the Wings a 3-0 series lead Game 4 of the 1998 Finals against the Caps (October 28th) - Wings win their second Stanley Cup in two years and The Captain hands the Cup off to Vladimir Konstantinov Game 7 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the St. Louis Blues - Steve Yzerman scores the game winner if double-OT from center ice The March 26th, 1997 Colorado Avalanche game - Darren McCarty exacts revenge on Claude Lemieux for his hit on Kris Draper the previous spring as just one of many fights that night Game 4 of the 1997 Finals against the Flyers - McCarty scores a once-in-a-career goal which ended up giving the Wings their first Cup in 42 years All games will start at 8:00 ET. I already have three of those games on tape but I'll definitely have my VCR set for the last three. I can remember the 1998 Finals like it was yesterday, particularly the goals. Game 2 is one of my most favorite hockey games ever and I'll always remember Doug Brown flying across the ice as he scored the final game tying goal. Not to mention the epic effort Olaf Kolzig put in by doing the splits to try to stop the inevitable game winner off the stick of Kris Draper in overtime. Ah, memories. I've actually never seen the 1996 Semifinals Game 7 or the March 26th game (gasp!). The first was before my time as a fan (or right at the start, when I was just becoming one) and the second wasn't on a channel I had at the time. It's nice of the network to throw us a bone like this but, to be honest, I'd much rather have some new games to watch. I mean, I can always buy the upcoming (November 2) Detroit Red Wings: A Celebration of Champions (part of the NHL's Original Six series) 4-disc DVD set if I want to see some classic modern-era Red Wings games. But I'll watch FSN's replays anyway because I'm a Red Wings hockey junkie and I'm hockey starved enough as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]