Friday, December 05, 2003

Great 5 Minute Rally

I can't say much about the first 55 minutes of hockey, because I was unfortunately working with my Calc II Group on an assignment. I did check the score midway through the 2nd period, and saw a 3-0 deficit. That got me pretty worried. When I got back to my room, it was a 4-2 deficit with just over 5 minutes left. Instantly, I thought of all the times the Wings have rallied in the final minutes of games, specifically the 2 goals in a minute effort against Philly last year or two years back. Then Datsyuk scored 40 seconds later!! I was pretty excited. A 4-3 game, definitely a possibility now. Then Hullie scored a minute later!! It was a 4-4 game then, and that's how it finished after an exciting overtime. My favorite hustle play of the year (definitely in the top 5 I've ever seen) happened in overtime. Yzerman took a coughed-up puck at center to the St Louis zone, made an amazing move around a St Louis defenseman, took a shot from past the circle, and almost batted the rebound out of mid-air into the open net, as Ozzie was sprawled after the initial save. The puck ended up going down the other way, with St Louis going on a 2-on-1, and guess who broke the play up on the back-check? Yzerman. After that shift, they showed Yzerman's face on ESPN, and he was soo soo winded. That's the type of play I'd only expect to see from speed-demon and hustle-player Draper, but the Captain really has been on a tear this season. He seems rejuvenated. He even has donned a longer hair cut that reminds me of his look from the early 90's. While I don't want to make any judgments about Hasek's play, because I didn't watch most of the game, I'm worried to see that he allowed two goals on the first three St Louis shots. Here's what Dom had to say: "It's wonderful that we tied the game, but I feel a little bit embarrassed. I don't know what to say about the goals I gave up.'' But it was pretty cool to see Dom's name on the scoresheet, as he got the second assist on the Steve Thomas goal. Four Wings who have been on a tear lately players continued with strong efforts: Thomas, Datsyuk, and Hull had a goal/assist each on the night, and Yzerman had a goal. And from what I've heard, Thomas got the infamous Gordie Howe hat trick: a goal, assist, and a fight!! Way to go Stumpy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]