Sunday, July 09, 2006

Report: Shanahan signs with Rangers

A one-year, $4 million deal, which apparently was less than what the Wings offered him. More later. Update - Brian (7/9 12:17) Before learning of the news from my brother this morning, I read Helene St. James' article in the Free Press about how the Rangers were wooing Shanahan. I quote:
"Now Shanahan is being courted by Montreal, and, according to a report in the New York Daily News, the Rangers. The paper said Shanahan was in Manhattan last week being wooed by team officials, who apparently got a little carried away. According to the paper, Shanahan's name and likeness appeared on Madison Square Garden's Seventh Avenue marquee with the words: 'The Rangers welcome Brendan Shanahan.' Perhaps it will turn out to be a test run for the real thing; perhaps it will turn out to be no more than wishful thinking..."
Well, I guess that was a lasting impression enough for Shanny to reject similar offers from the Wings. It will be shocking to see Shanahan in a Rangers uniform, as he has been a Red Wing since October 9, 1996. I had read his shopping on the free agent market as nothing but a veteran taking his last chance to do so, and merely to see what kind of offers he could get. I guess I was in denial to what I've also been saying lately about the Wings: that I see no reason for anyone to want to sign with us other than for a lucrative contract. I don't see the Wings getting past the second round of the playoffs next season, and that Shanahan and Yzerman are both gone in a matter of days makes this only more likely. I don't blame Shanahan at all for leaving, as this is the first off-season as a fan where I actually have said I wouldn't even sign with the Wings, outside the fan perspective. In other news, Yzerman reportedly favors Nicklas Lidstrom as the next Captain, according to a Drew Sharp article this morning.

2 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 12:55:00 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I don't see the Wings getting past the second round of the playoffs next season

They didn't get past the first round this season with Shanahan - and have struggled the two past years before this one. This might be a blessing in disguise. Watch and wait, the Wings have a bit of cash to play with now at least.

 
At 7/10/2006 04:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally concur. Who won't miss Shanny and Stevie, but this could be a refreshing season with Zetterburg and Dats getting all the ice time they deserve.

I'm sad this week, but also hopeful and even a little excited to see the new look Red Wings (whatever they look like) in October.

 

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]