Monday, September 19, 2005

Datsyuk to return

It looks like the Pavel Datsyuk Saga will have a happy ending after all, if what Ken Holland said tonight before the Wings' first exhibition game is true. TSN quotes the Wings GM as saying:
"I think he's coming back to Detroit, unless I get a major curveball. My expectation is that he's coming back by the weekend."
Holland has not personally talked to Pavel since September 5th but he has been in touch with his agent, Gary Greenstin. That little tidbit doesn't exactly instill a whole lot of confidence in me, though, since Greenstin seems to be an inherently bad source of information, given his penchant for misdirectional negotiation style. Still, Kenny wouldn't just say it if it wasn't likely. However, he only said "I think" so his "expectation" may not end up actually happening. I'll be plenty happy if Pavel does actually come back but I hope the Wings aren't going to have to pay him the $5 million they reportedly offered him before. UPDATE (20. Sep 05): TSN has a CP report confirming Pavel's return here. They quote Holland as saying,
"I spoke to Pavel this morning. It's all confirmed. He's coming back. We certainly feel like we've won the lottery."
That's good enough for me. Welcome back, Pavel. I hope you're ready to go to work.

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 01:01:00 AM, Blogger LawStudentGuyPerson said...

woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9/20/2005 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll believe it when I see him in a Detroit sweater.

Even then I'll be half expecting him to run off to Russia mid-season if they offer him a pony.

Nope, I won't believe he's really back until he tries and fails to pick up any post-season points. Then, and only then, will I know that we got our man.

Jerk.

(I'm actually pretty happy about this, but I haven't had my coffee yet this morning.)

 
At 9/20/2005 11:28:00 AM, Blogger matt saler said...

I agree, Gabriel. This story has changed too many times for me to just accept its latest version without physical proof.

I think NHL contracts are a bit more binding than Russian contracts so I don't think there is a real chance of Pavel leaving once he's here, at least not in-season.

 
At 9/20/2005 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Brian List said...

What about Pavel's arbitration hearing in Russia? That was today, I believe. I'd say that plays a significant part in Pavel returning.

 

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]