Sunday, December 26, 2004

Sidney Crosby, Replacement Player?

Sidney Crosby, the 17-year old Quebec Major Junior Hockey League phenom, is contemplating playing in the NHL next season, even if it means becoming a replacement player if the league and NHLPA have yet to agree on a new CBA. While league officials deny the possibility of using replacement players, Atlanta Thrashers owner Steve Belkin breached Gary Bettman's gag order in October and alluded to the possibility of using replacement players for the 2005-2006 season. Dubbed "The Next One," in reference to Wayne Gretzky ("The Great One"), Crosby is hungry to crack an NHL roster:
"I haven't really given it a lot of thought but my dream is to play in the NHL. I think if I do have the opportunity, I would probably go."
Crosby is currently playing for Team Canada in the World Junior Hockey Championship, and is the consensus first pick in the 2005 NHL draft, should it occur. He leads the CHL in scoring with 26 goals and 48 assists in 35 games. Crosby continued:
"Yeah, I mean you grow up dreaming to play. Obviously I can understand the other side of it too. I understand it's a business and I know that there are things going on, that maybe myself and other people don't know, that do influence a lot of guys' opinions. It's hard for me to say right now. I just want to get there. It's my dream."
Crosby joined Mario Lemieux, Chris Chelios, Mathieu Schneider, and other pro athletes for T.R. Goodman's training boot camp in Venice Beach this past summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark this post

del.icio.us On the Wings

Search this site

<< Home

[Powered by Blogger]